With the expanding use of email and the internet and the popularity of social media platforms it has become ever easier for confidential information to enter the public domain and for harmful third party comments that can cause reputational damage to be widely circulated. The damage to reputation that can be caused by these mediums can be considerable. Whether you are an individual or a large corporate, at Weightmans we understand how important it is to manage and protect your reputation.
We have specialist advisers who can advise you on the full spectrum of legal issues that can arise in this area including libel and slander, harassment, privacy rights, data protection and confidential information. We will work with you to quickly understand the issues and to take urgent action as required. We will offer early advice on the merits of your claim and will provide information about your funding options.
We have advised a number of individuals, companies and organisations in this area. Matters upon which we have been instructed include:
- Acting for various companies in connection with defamatory comments posted on social media platforms, working with internet service providers to have comments removed swiftly and with minimal harm.
- Working with a charity to advise on malicious falsehood and libel in connection with widely circulated correspondence and comments posted on online discussion boards.
- Acted successfully on behalf of two former international footballers in relation to comments made about them in the book and film, “The Damned Utd”.
- Acted for a former director of Leeds United and his wife in relation to defamation proceedings and then a harassment action successfully pursued against the club and it’s former chairman, Ken Bates.
- Acting for senior police officers, a former county councillors and others in relation to harassment proceedings pursued against individuals who have used the internet and e mails to harass and seek to cause reputational damage over many years.
- Acting for a lead Ofsted inspector who having failed as school was defamed by some governors in a letter to parents and in the local press.
- Acting for the Head and a Principal to a school Academy in harassment and defamation proceedings against parents and former pupils at the school who have created a facebook site upon which defamatory comments have been posted.
- Advising an unincorporated association on defamatory articles posted on a website and successfully negotiating their swift removal.
- Advising a social housing organisation on both corporate and personal reputational issues.
- Advising individuals on Google ‘right to be forgotten’ requests.
- Advising a company on the appropriate forum for proceedings in relation to defamatory comments circulated by an association in various jurisdictions.
- Advising corporate and individual clients on a wide range of matters concerning the unlawful/unauthorised use of confidential information.
We are happy to provide you with an initial assessment and recommend preliminary action on a fixed fee basis in order to provide you with certainty of cost.