Advice and guidance in relation to social and public sector housing matters for local authorities and registered providers of social housing.
The law relating to housing is far-reaching in its scope and effects. Both in the public and private sector, expert legal advice and guidance is of paramount importance, and the right choice of solicitor can make a significant difference to an organisation's performance.
Weightmans' Housing Law team have extensive experience in dealing with a vast range of housing related issues for a broad base of landlord clients, including local authorities and registered providers of social housing. Our strength lies in our ability to deliver both non-contentious and litigation services with the same level of efficiency and efficacy.
Our case management system allows us to deal with large or small matters, such as right-to-buy sales, the status of asylum seekers and the rights of secure tenants, in a cost-effective way. As a local authority or business organisation, you are therefore able to proceed with greater confidence, in the knowledge that you have expert support and protection behind you without incurring excessive costs.
We can give advice in respect of:
- Anti social behaviour orders (ASBOs)
- Anti social behaviour injunctions (ASBIs)
- Introductory/starter tenancies
- Disrepair under Defective Premises Act 1972 and Landlord & Tenant Act 1985
- Tolerated trespasses
- Assured/secure tenancies
- Mutual exchange
- Assured shorthold tenancies
- Gas access injunctions
- Pursuing tenant arrears – commercial recoveries team can help you improve financial performance by using award winning case management system for bulk debt recovery
We can provide advice in respect of:
- Leaseholder issues including possession of shared ownership leases
- Service charge disputes including representation at the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal
- Occupancy agreements
- Landlord and tenant issues
- Judicial Review
The team provides advice on:
- Right to buy
- Large scale repair projects
- Decanting and demolishing tower blocks
- Compulsory purchase
- Stock transfer
- Site acquisition and disposal
- Joint ventures
- Financing works
- Construction contract/disputes
- Drafting and advising on shared ownership leases
- Advising on lease extensions and leasehold reform legislation
- Contested and uncontested business lease renewals
- Advising on remedies available to landlords as a result of commercial rent arrears including forfeiture procedure.
They tailor their training sessions to meet our needs, and they're fabulous - I haven't got a bad word to say about them.
Their strongest qualities are their know-how and their responsiveness.
Chambers & Partners 2016
Weightmans LLP's 'strong' department acts for names such as Liverpool Mutual Homes, Symphony Housing Group, Circle Housing Group, Regenda Group and Golden Gates Housing Trust. The 'experienced' Sian Evans heads the team.
Legal 500 2015