Practical advice and support with all aspects of pensions law.
For many businesses and public organisations, pensions are a critical financial and practical concern. Employers are concerned to understand the risks associated with their employee pension schemes. They will want to control those risks and the costs of providing the pension benefits they have promised. Trustees (and administering authorities) are concerned with the effective financial management and governance of their schemes.
We understand the financial and practical issues faced by employers, trustees and others involved with pensions. We have extensive experience of working on a wide range of pensions matters across the public and private sectors. We know how complex pensions law can be. Members of our team draw upon their experience and expertise to make it as simple as possible and to deliver practical advice and solutions.
We work with clients on all types of pension schemes at all stages in their life cycles from establishment to winding up. Our services include:
- Providing advice on all aspects of pensions law
- Interpreting, drafting and updating pension scheme governing documents and ancillary documents such as member communications
- Dealing with regulatory bodies and government agencies including the Pensions Regulator, the Pension Protection Fund and HMRC
- Supporting best practice in pension scheme governance
- Resolving pensions disputes
- Advising scheme trustees on the wide range of contracts that they may enter into
- Training scheme trustees, HR and finance professionals and others on pensions matters
- Dealing with the pensions aspects of transactions
We recognise that in many situations pensions advice is not useful if it is delivered in isolation. When appropriate, members of our pensions team work closely with other specialist lawyers at Weightmans from fields including corporate and employment law to provide our clients with complete and coherent advice.
Whether or not you are already a client, members of our team are always happy to discuss the pensions issues faced by you and your organisation.
Mark Poulston of Weightmans leads the firm's pensions practice. He acts for public and private sector employers and trustees on matters of all kinds, including amendments of scheme documentation, risk reduction exercises, the treatment of pensions in corporate transactions and litigation.
Chambers & Partners 2016
Weightmans LLP advised J D W Pension Trustees on the winding up of an occupational pension scheme. Clients also include N Brown Pension Trustees, Hoover and The Football Pools.
Legal 500 2015