At Weightmans our Marine team has all the experience and expertise needed to investigate and assist with ship based maritime casualties including vessels.
Given the serious implications arising out of incidents involving collisions, fatalities and injuries, fires, groundings, pollution, salvage, towage and wreck removal, we understand the need for prompt action. As such our Marine team is contactable 24/7 for urgent advice and assistance following any maritime incident.
Examples of major casualty matters previously handled by the team include:
- Acting for vessel owners and P&I insurers on a grounding off the North Wales Coast, involving salvage and environmental issues.
- Acting for the vessel owners and a London Market insurer on a substantial collision case between a passenger fast craft and large bulk carrier, involving salvage and personal injury claims
- Advising charterers following main engine breakdown and fire on a fully laden tanker off Saudi Arabia, involving salvage, off-hire and general average claims
- Advising heavy lift operators and their P&I Club in relation to the salvage and on carriage arrangements for a grounded tug
- Acting for the owners and insurers of a large passenger/freight ferry that lost main engine power and required tug assistance
- Advising tug operators and their liability insurers following the grounding and sinking of one of their tugs in Scottish waters while on passage to attend a submarine.
We have a worldwide network of trusted and experienced legal and other correspondents, to assist the resourcing and local claims management when matters arise in other jurisdictions.
They have a very broad knowledge of all issues relating to Port Authority and vessel operations, as well as stevedoring issues.
Their particular strength is in contracts for carriage and bills of lading matters.
Chambers & Partners 2016
Weightmans LLP's team has 'strong business acumen and industry knowledge'. Department head Phil James has 'excellent working knowledge of legislation'
Weightmans LLP handles contentious and non-contentious marine, logistics and transport matters, and acts for names such as Peel Ports Group, Bibby Line Group, Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, British Marine, AIG, and Champion Tankers.
Legal 500 2015
Atlantik Confidence – Breaking the 1976 Limitation for Maritime
Friday, October 28, 2016 View Comments
Consequences of charterer’s failure to pay hire under time charter
Friday, October 14, 2016 View Comments
Hanjin Shipping insolvency and supply chain implications
Friday, September 09, 2016 View Comments
- View all Admiralty blog posts