At Weightmans we have significant experience in the handling of claims arising under charter parties, bills of lading and other carriage agreements.
Our knowledgeable and professional team expertly supports our clients with the drafting of contracts and risk-assessment of carriage terms for operators and their insurers.
Examples of the types of cases handled by the team (but by no means restricted to) include:
- A London arbitration involving multi-million dollar claims and counterclaims arising out of the premature termination of a four year time charter
- Defending voyage charterers and their insurers on an unsafe port claim of US$500,000, following the grounding of a vessel off an Egyptian port.
- A London arbitration charter party claim of US$550,000, involving underperformance, off-hire claims, and the arrest of a vessel in Russia to obtain security for claims.
- A London arbitration claim of US$250,000, involving ship damage, disputed redelivery, underperformance and involving Rule B attachment in New York and London arbitration.
- A London arbitration charter party claim of US$150,000, involving vessel crane breakdown during loading and related off-hire and damage claims.
- Advice on disputes arising under a voyage charter following delays on passage through the Gulf of Aden due to piracy concerns.
- Advice in relation to a substantial late re-delivery dispute under a chain of time charter, involving analysis of claims for loss of a subsequent fixture in the light of recent authorities, including The Achilleas.
Our Marine team is contactable 24/7 for urgent advice and assistance following any maritime incident.
They have a very broad knowledge of all issues relating to Port Authority and vessel operations, as well as stevedoring issues.
Their particular strength is in contracts for carriage and bills of lading matters.
Chambers & Partners 2016
Weightmans LLP's team has 'strong business acumen and industry knowledge'. Department head Phil James has 'excellent working knowledge of legislation'.
Weightmans LLP handles contentious and non-contentious marine, logistics and transport matters, and acts for names such as Peel Ports Group, Bibby Line Group, Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, British Marine, AIG, and Champion Tankers.
Legal 500 2015
Atlantik Confidence – Breaking the 1976 Limitation for Maritime
Friday, October 28, 2016 View Comments
Consequences of charterer’s failure to pay hire under time charter
Friday, October 14, 2016 View Comments
Hanjin Shipping insolvency and supply chain implications
Friday, September 09, 2016 View Comments
- View all Charterparties blog posts