Yachts and marine trades
At Weightmans our experienced team offers prompt, practical, and above all commercial advice to help steer you through the initial and subsequent stages of any yacht or pleasure craft incident.
And while we understand that no incident is the same, typical situations we can help with include:
- A collision or salvage situation, at home or abroad
- A yachting injury or fatality which needs to be handled quickly and sensitively
- An urgent decision on which coverage to take following any accident, theft or damage
- The prompt assessment of liability or the protection of subrogated rights, even in unfamiliar jurisdictions
With extensive experience in this field we reduce the unpredictability, uncertainty and risk by helping our clients with:
- Interviews with skipper and crew
- Advice on evidence gathering and coverage
- Prompt court action such as vessel arrest (or release from arrest)
- Advice on preserving evidence and legal remedies
- Guidance on towage and salvage contracts
- Representation at inquiries and inquests (with a network of worldwide marine legal correspondents)
- Advice on marine legislation, including the Merchant Shipping Act 1995, Collision Regulations and the London Salvage Convention
- The protection and pursuing of subrogated recoveries
- Advice on total loss, partial loss and abandonment issues
In relation to Marine Trades, our team experienced in handling both the defence and prosecution of liability incidents and contractual claims involving marinas, boat brokerages and vessel equipment suppliers. And with significant commercial experience our team regularly advises and acts for clients in relation to sale and purchase, finance and mortgage, registration, and chartering issues.
Our Marine team is contactable 24/7 for urgent advice and assistance following any maritime incident.
They have a very broad knowledge of all issues relating to Port Authority and vessel operations, as well as stevedoring issues.
Their particular strength is in contracts for carriage and bills of lading matters.
Chambers & Partners 2016
Weightmans LLP's team has 'strong business acumen and industry knowledge'. Department head Phil James has 'excellent working knowledge of legislation'.
Weightmans LLP handles contentious and non-contentious marine, logistics and transport matters, and acts for names such as Peel Ports Group, Bibby Line Group, Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, British Marine, AIG, and Champion Tankers.
Legal 500 2015
Atlantik Confidence – Breaking the 1976 Limitation for Maritime
Friday, October 28, 2016 View Comments
Consequences of charterer’s failure to pay hire under time charter
Friday, October 14, 2016 View Comments
Hanjin Shipping insolvency and supply chain implications
Friday, September 09, 2016 View Comments
- View all Yachts and marine trades blog posts