The Weightmans public sector team is able to provide expert advice on all matters relating to inquests in the coroners' court …
We have acted for local authorities, police forces and health trusts in all types of inquests and public inquiries ranging from simple cases to the most complex and wide-ranging Article 2 inquests.
Our public sector focus and expertise means we can provide tailored advice to clients with appropriate regard for the high-profile nature of inquests, the costs that can be involved and the scope for subsequent civil claims for compensation.
We advise organisations not only on the law and the procedure around the coronial process but also issues such as managing and supporting employees who may be witnesses, reputational damage and media coverage.
Our areas of expertise include:
- New rules and procedure under the Coroner’s and Justice Act 2009 which came into force in July 2013.
- Supporting and advising staff
- Preparation of evidence, statements and liaising with the coroner
- Pre-inquest hearings and reviews
- Advocacy in the coroner’s court
- Wide-ranging Article 2 inquests and jury cases
- Costs control
- Dealing with the media
- Responding to Prevention of Future Death reports from the coroner