Healthcare - inquests
For inquests and legal matters relating to the coroner’s court, Weightmans’ healthcare team is recognised as one of the UK’s leading specialists.
Our team, which includes assistant coroners and solicitor advocates, is acutely aware of the stress and complexity of the coronial process, not to mention the potential for criminal proceedings for both individuals and organisations, including corporate manslaughter.
Our focus is on identifying the facts and presenting the evidence to ensure an accurate understanding of the circumstances by all parties, before the Coroner makes any decisions.
We provide specialist support and expert insights through all stages of the coronial process, including:
- Representation at inquests and costs management
- New rules and procedures under the Coroner’s and Justice Act 2009 and Coroners (Inquest) Rules 2013
- Preparation of witness statements, collation of evidence and liaison with the coroner
- Serious incidents and serious incident reports
- Witness preparation
- Pre-inquest hearings and reviews
- Advocacy in the coroner’s court, including Article 2 and jury inquests
- Dealing with the press and media in high profile inquests
- Risk management and Prevention of Future Death reports (previously Rule 43 reports)
- Responding to Prevention of Future Death reports
Wide-ranging practice offering high-quality advice in relation to both the Mental Health and Mental Capacity Acts. Inquests, judicial reviews, and homicide inquiries, often in relation to prison law, regularly feature in the team's workload.
Chambers and Partners 2016