Skip to main content

Elderly Resident Scalded

The Isle of Wight Council has been fined £12,000 after an elderly man staying in a care home was seriously scalded.

The Isle of Wight Council has been fined £12,000 after an elderly man staying in a care home was seriously scalded.

Brian Leek entered the bathroom to have a shower, using the bath’s hoist seat which enabled him to support himself under the shower unit.  Extremely hot water poured onto the base of his back, scalding him and causing 13 per cent burns. 

The HSE investigation found that the shower fitting was not suitable for use in a healthcare facility and was not installed with a thermostatic mixing valve (TMV), which would have limited the temperature to 41 ℃.  Other care homes had similar shower fittings.  The investigation also found that the council had no system for testing the temperature of the water or for maintaining the TMV systems.  This was especially worrying due to the vulnerable nature of the individuals they were caring for.

The Council pleaded guilty to Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.  They were fined £12,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,133.