David is dedicated to providing a wide range of construction and engineering clients with the highest quality legal advice delivered in a way which is in line with their desired outcomes and complementary to their business goals.
David possesses a great depth of experience in relation to adjudication under the Construction Act as his career has run largely in parallel with the growth of this forum into the principal means of dispute resolution within the UK industry. Together with his notable work in the Technology and Construction Court, and skill in domestic arbitration proceedings, this ensures that David retains his position as one of the region’s most experienced and respected construction lawyers.
Although David’s expertise has a contentious focus in the main, his wide-ranging skills and experience accrued during his 18 years of practising means he is also adept at advising clients in connection with non-contentious, project-related issues enabling him to offer professional and friendly support from instruction to completion.
As a strong and assured negotiator, David is recognised as being an impressively knowledgeable and tactically savvy lawyer, who is regularly relied upon by blue-chip clients to represent their interests and achieve their desired commercially-focused outcomes against some of the sector’s leading exponents.
David’s background in heavyweight litigation and his approach to client relationships is reflected in the range of clients David acts for and is true testimony to his approach to litigation, client care skills, approachability and track record of achieving successful outcomes.
David remains hands-on when it comes to upholding the high professional standards needed to deliver a service which is in line with the ever-changing wishes, requirements and expectations of clients. Praised for his informative presentations, David also enjoys delivering bespoke workshops and seminars to client management teams and industry professionals.
Focused on going the extra mile to deliver a market-leading client experience, David’s clients underpin his ethos and approach to service delivery with feedback such as “very impressive work… a lesson for me in negotiation, however, I don’t think I will reach that standard” and have thanked him for his “rapid and scholarly insight which was very clear and helpful”.
- Acting on behalf of a college of further education in successfully resolving a £4.5 million multi-party TCC claim arising from the design and construction of the college’s new flagship campus building.
- Acting on behalf of a UK-leading contractor in defence of final account claims with an aggregate value of £4million brought by two of its sub-contractors in relation to a shopping centre development in East Yorkshire.
- Acting in defence of a professional negligence claim brought against a consultant engineer in respect of the design and implementation of remedial works to a limestone-paved terrace area at a development in Cambridgeshire. After an effective Pre-Action Protocol phase, the claim was ultimately resolved through Mediation.
- Successfully represented a Local Authority in connection with a disputed fee claim brought by its former planning consultants.
- Assisted a regional M&E services contractor with an Adjudication under the Construction Act to recover £1.1 million by reason of a failure by its employer (a UK-leading contractor and developer) to serve effective payment notices; and has successfully resisted a similar claim attempted by a sub-contractor against a further client, a national civil engineering contractor.
Legal Directory Quote
'David Spires' attention to detail, knowledge and experience ... communication of the merits and various options available ... makes business decisions easier to make' Legal 500 2020