Douglas has a wealth of experience advising lenders and borrowers on a broad range of transactional banking work, dealing with all aspects of debt and equity funding and security arising from acquisition finance, real estate finance, project finance, asset finance and general commercial business across a variety of sectors including real estate, hotels and leisure, manufacturing, shipping, oil and gas and renewable energy.
He has extensive experience in particular of working on complex real estate investment and development transactions, as well as on infrastructure, urban regeneration, renewable energy and capital projects, with a particular focus on cross-border and multi-jurisdictional work.
Real estate finance is a key part of our banking practice and our experience of the wide range of issues that can arise in property transactions is vast, ranging from basic security and inter-creditor structures to complicated portfolio arrangements. We deal with joint ventures, limited partnerships, offshore investment vehicles, stamp duty saving structures and off-balance sheet property financing.
In addition, Douglas and the team work on a wide range of corporate finance matters, including private acquisitions, public to privates, primary and secondary buy-outs, public bids, schemes of arrangement, senior, mezzanine and bridge financing. We can advise on derivative, netting and hedging arrangements, including ISDA documentation for corporate, project or acquisition funding.
Douglas is qualified in both Scottish and English law and works closely with the rest of the banking team and other colleagues across the firm, providing a national service to clients. He is a member of both the Law Society and the Law Society of Scotland.
Recommended for his ‘pragmatic and commercial approach’ and for giving ‘clear, concise advice’, clients recognise that his commitment to "avoiding point scoring makes a real difference to legal advice" and "is a real asset when negotiating loans"
His clients have included AIB, Bank of Ireland, Bank of Scotland, Barclays, Cambridge & Counties Bank, Clydesdale Bank, Deutsche Bank, Dragonfly Finance, Essar Oil, Handelsbanken, Helical Bar, HSBC, Investec, JPMorgan, Lloyds Bank, Maslow Capital, Morgan Stanley, Regent Capital, RBS, Santander, Societe Generale, Tesco and UBS.
Notable transactions include:
- Acting for the landowner in relation to the debt, equity investment and JV funding of major urban masterplan infrastructure and following retail and housing developments
- Acting for the lender on the £100 million restructure, syndicated debt and joint venture funding, of a brownfield regeneration/ property investment company with assets UK-wide
- Acting for the borrower on the £950 million staged debt restructure, structuring and bond-funded securitization of a major retail property portfolio
- Acting for lenders on the funding, acquisition and development of multiple UK shopping centres through offshore JPUT and similar tax-efficient structures
- Acting for a major property company on a £100 million syndicated revolving credit facility to refinance existing debt and fund new acquisition, including complex joint venture arrangements.