Skip to main content

LPAs and Court of Protection

Specialist advice to deal with the affairs of mentally incapacitated individuals and appointing a power of attorney.

Have you thought about what would happen to your property and financial affairs if you lost mental or physical capacity, and who you would trust to act on your behalf?

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) give someone else permission to manage your finances and property in the event that you develop a mental or physical condition that makes it harder for you to look after them yourself.

Without a LPA, relatives have to apply to the Court of Protection to become involved, something which can be a long and costly process. If someone becomes incapacitated without having an LPA in place, the Court of Protection can appoint a Deputy to look after their financial affairs.

At Weightmans, we'll guide you sensitively through the process of choosing attorneys, completing the necessary forms and registering an LPA.