Peter CutlerPrincipal Associate
Peter is a Principal Associate in the London Healthcare Team working with NHS Trusts on behalf of NHS Resolution.
Peter was called to the bar in 2006 as a non-practising barrister and started working in the field of medical negligence on behalf of claimants for a small high-street firm in Kent.
In 2009 he was admitted to the Roll of Solicitors and shortly thereafter he joined a national firm where he continued to represent claimants until 2016 when he joined a global insurance firm as part of their defendant healthcare team.
Peter joined Weightmans in 2021 where he has a caseload of high value and complex clinical negligence cases involving injuries of maximum severity.
Peter has extensive experience at all stages of the litigation process, including ADR and mediation, and has successfully applied to have numerous cases struck-out either as an abuse of process or where it was shown that there were no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim in the first place.
Peter has also successfully represented both claimants and defendants at a number of trials over the course of his career:
- Armsden v Kent Police  EWCA Civ 361 – for the claimant in a personal injury case which proceeded to the Court of Appeal following a fatal road traffic accident involving an emergency vehicle
- PB v Dartford & Gravesham NHS Trust (unreported) – for the defendant in a medical negligence claim involving manipulation under anaesthetic of a frozen shoulder
- SC v East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust (unreported) – for the defendant in a medical negligence claim involving a nerve injury during a hip replacement
- RC v Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust (unreported) – for the defendant in a clinical negligence claim involving assessment of damages, where the defendant successfully beat a Part 36 offer
- RB v East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust – for the defendant in a clinical negligence claim involving alleged failure to detect ischaemic bowel