Data protection and GDPR solicitors
Expert advice in relation to all aspects of data protection, information governance, privacy, cyber liability and electronic communications from a team of leading data protection solicitors.
For many organisations information, data and especially personal data are critical to the success of their businesses. Our data protection solicitors can help you protect these valuable assets.
Both public and private sector organisations are collecting, holding and processing ever greater amounts of personal data, special categories of personal data and other data in the course of their day to day operations. This data should be commercialised effectively and adequately protected.
The UK Government is committed to upholding information rights in the public interest and protecting the privacy of individuals in respect of their personal data. In an increasingly regulated environment, organisations must be aware of their obligations under relevant legislation including the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK GDPR. Recent legal developments, with its more stringent rules and increased penalty regime (which may be linked to annual turnover) means that the importance of compliance is becoming more acute for all organisations. In this digital world, the importance of data has increased immensely, as have the implications of non-compliance – from financial sanctions to adverse publicity.
Breaches of the Data Protection Act and the UK GDPR, for example, may lead to significant reputational damage for organisations. Additionally, the financial penalties that can be levied for breaches are becoming increasingly severe. Undoubtedly the future will entail an increase in the data protection compliance obligations of all organisations that collect, hold and/or process personal data as part of their operations (both home and abroad).
Data protection and e-commerce issues
Our expert team of data protection solicitors provides advice in respect of a full range of data protection and information governance related issues including:
- GDPR compliance audits
- Access to use and ethical exploitation of personal data
- Cyber liability and security breach management
- Data sharing, information sharing protocols and arrangements
- Data subject access requests
- ICO investigations and litigation
- Employment related issues
- International data transfers
- Social media and CCTV
- PECR and E-marketing
- Cookies and cookie policies.
We have a significant practice advising a wide variety of clients on data protection and information governance matters, ranging from sole traders to multinationals. We regularly advise major data providers on complex and technical issues in this area.
We regularly act for a wide variety of clients, both in the public and private sectors, ranging from retail businesses to data providers to insurers and insurance industry bodies to healthcare providers, universities, police forces and local authorities to financial institutions and automotive companies.
Our data protection solicitors have extensive experience advising insurance industry bodies on data issues including the set up of fraud detection services, such as databases holding detailed claims data. Examples include advising:
- upon data protection issues relating to the Infected Blood Inquiry
- a national fraud body on a standard user agreement for the insurance industry (including healthcare data sharing arrangements, database use and use of strategic data on an international scale)
- the Motor Insurers’ Bureau in relation to the MyLicence Project (a major data sharing project supported by the UK Government, DVLA and ABI)
- upon the development of data sharing arrangements to create a database to assist in the detection and reduction of fraudulent claims, including those against healthcare providers professionals
- Airline logistics organisations upon the commercial dataflow frameworks and international data transfers (particularly post-Schrems II and post-Brexit)
- upon the £multimillion procurement of a major police force’s content management system
- in relation to GDPR audits for many high profile public and private sector organisations, ranging from data use and legal processing to the assessment of supplier agreements, data sharing risk and privacy impact.
Key contactView all experts
Partner+44 (0)151 242 6517 Email Sean