Sean Crotty and Laurence Pritchard are considered 'excellent on commercial matters'.Legal 500 2017
"Protecting personal data is key for us and we found that when working with Weightmans we were able to find watertight solutions to data protection questions in critical areas such as data sharing and data security. Although an ongoing process if we were starting from scratch I would advise other businesses to consider certifying their information security management system against the ISO 27001 standard. The benefits to MIB have included an assessment process that helps us to continually monitor our performance and improve and independent assessment that applicable laws and regulations are being observed. This helps us convey a professional and trustworthy image that we believe our desire to be a centre of excellence needs in an area where credibility can be lost all too quickly."Kaushik Patel — MIB
Sean Crotty is a partner in our commercial team with particular experience in data protection, IT, commercial, procurement and intellectual property matters. Sean advises many high profile clients within the private (ranging from SMEs to listed companies) and public sector (including Police Authorities, NHS Trusts, local authorities and universities) on a wide range of strategic and complex data, IT, media and IP issues.
Sean has developed a specialism in drafting and negotiating major commercial, IT, entertainment, IP and data contracts within the private and public sector. He understands his way around the relevant industries and their statutory obligations and often provides training in relation to the same.
Examples of his work in this area include advising:
- Peel Ports Group on procurement of works and services for £350 million Liverpool 2 Project;
- One of the world’s largest packaging companies on a large scale production agreement;
- A national fraud body on a standard user agreement for the insurance industry (including data sharing arrangements, database use and use of strategic data on an international scale);
- Upon the £multimillion procurement of a major police force’s content management system; and
- The Motor Insurers’ Bureau in relation to the UK Government backed MyLicence Project, a revolutionary data sharing project between the DVLA and the UK insurance industry.
Sean has vast experience of the video games industry and was recently awarded the legal services provider of the year award at the TIGA Awards 2016 in recognition of the excellent work provided by his team in the field.
Sean also regularly delivers presentations in this field (eg. International Festival of Business 2016) and is regularly published in trade and national press (eg. Financial Times, IP Magazine and Daily Telegraph).
Sean is recommended in Legal 500.