Casualty (employers' liability and public liability) lawyers
Our specialist team of casualty lawyers has been successfully defending civil claims against commercial organisations and their insurers for many years. Dealing with both casualty and liability claims, our expert lawyers have extensive technical expertise and experience in every aspect of public liability and employers' liability law.
Our experience covers a wide variety of sectors and environments, including construction sites, factories, ports, retail and leisure locations, highways, parks and other natural land, vehicles, sporting and equestrian facilities and domestic properties (both tenanted and owner-occupied). We advise on the interpretation of the relevant statutory provisions and frequently deal with liability under principles of common law negligence.
With clients including employers and others with control over property, our expertise includes the interpretation of contractual indemnities and the pursuit of Part 20 claims for contribution or indemnity from others. We also provide a ‘gatekeeper’ claims handling service on international matters.
Whatever the matter, we deliver clear, informed advice at the earliest stage of every claim, enabling you to quickly assess whether it should be brought to trial or settled. At the same time, our commercial approach, strategic expertise and incisive negotiation skills can help to reduce your overall legal spend, while our practical risk management and best practice advice can help you avoid future claims.
- Successfully acted in the EL policy 'trigger litigation' in the supreme court.
- Employers' liability claim concerning sensitisation to epoxy allegedly while working on site.
- Employers' liability claim defending a business sued by an employee injured while handling work equipment.
- Public liability claim on behalf of a principal contractor, where an individual was injured by falling machinery during installation.
- Public liability claim defending letting agents following an alleged injury sustained by a tenant of a managed property.
- Public liability claim for a client in a construction project, where an individual was injured after falling through a hole in the premises.
- Public liability claim following injury to a worker caused by a horse at a riding stables.
- Public liability claim for an event organiser following an injury suffered by a rider at a competition.
- Employers' liability claim following injury to an employee stevedore working at a port.
- Employers' liability claim defending an action by an individual injured while working for a tree surgeon.