Family lawyers in Scotland
Our leading team of family lawyers in Scotland are recognised by the Legal Directories as experts in Scottish family law, serving clients across Scotland, including in Glasgow, Edinburgh, the Highlands and Islands and on an international basis.
Scotland has a different set of legislative acts governing family law cases from England and Wales, both in respect of divorce, cohabitation claims and children's cases. The court system is also different in Scotland from that in England & Wales and is governed by different procedures and rules.
Our Scottish family law services
We can provide specialised advice in relation to any specific Scottish family law matters and assist in any cross border family cases which involve Scotland or which span both Scotland and England & Wales.
Our top family lawyers have the in-depth expertise to guide you through issues including:
- Divorce and civil partnership dissolution (Divorce (Scotland) Act 1976 (as amended by the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006 and Civil Partnership Act 2004))
- International divorce and dissolution
- High Net Worth relationship breakdown
- Financial Disputes on relationship breakdown (Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985)
- Child aliment or maintenance including school fees
- Separation agreements
- Cohabitation (Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006)
- Inheritance disputes
- Cross border disputes including intra UK disputes
- Wealth protection strategy including prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements
- Child care arrangements — contact and residence disputes (Children (Scotland) Act 1995 and the Children (Scotland) Act 2020)
- Parental rights and responsibilities
- Child relocation and abduction including Hague Convention actions.
- Grandparent and Step Parent disputes — residence orders for kinship carers
- Creating families including by way of adoption, permanence orders, parenthood and surrogacy (Adoption and Children (Scotland) Act 2007)
- Children’s hearings/ panels and children’s referral proceedings (Children’s Hearing (Scotland) Act 2011)
- LGBTQ+ family law
- Arbitration and non-court based options including collaboration
- Enforcement of decrees, agreements and child maintenance
- Immigration advice for businesses and high net worth individuals.
Partner+44 (0)141 375 0861 Email Noel
Ready for the next step? Talk to one of our family law solicitors in Scotland.Schedule a free call
Ready for the next step? Talk to one of our family law solicitors in Scotland.Schedule a call with a family law specialist