Skip to main content


Sensitive legal advice for the issues surrounding disputes involving children.

Child arrangements

Disputes about with which parent children should live and how they spend time with their other parent are not just limited to the time of a relationship breakdown. Difficulties can occur at any point until your children become adults.

Our family law team are experts when it comes to handling legal cases regarding children, including their living arrangements in the event of a divorce or separation.

Central to all these disputes are the children themselves. Co-operation between parents and a willingness to put the children's needs first will minimise the impact of separation on them. We can advise on non court based options for finding solutions, or court based litigation. We liaise with court-appointed experts and advise you on the use of independent experts where appropriate, . In every case, we help you to reach a solution that's in the best interests of your children.

We can also provide expert advice regarding plans to move abroad with a child, whether you're thinking of making such a move or are concerned that your ex-partner is considering to do so.

Parental responsibility

We can advise on issues of parental responsibility including drafting parental responsibility agreements and difficulties that arise in exercising that responsibility. These can include issues over schooling, religious upbringing and your child's health. You can rest assured that we deal with these matters sensitively and pragmatically, with a view to obtaining the best outcome with the least upset to all concerned.

Financial claims

Separate to child welfare issues are financial claims relating to children. We can advise on applications for child maintenance and assist in negotiations to reach child maintenance agreements on divorce/dissolution or separation. We also advise on making applications under Schedule 1 Children Act 1989, which may include a school fees orders. As well as representing parents, we act for children themselves in seeking, for example, maintenance for their university education.


When couples or single people join together to start a family – 'co-parenting' – we can advise on the legal status of co-parents and who will have (or may acquire) parental responsibility for any child, as well as the legal applications that may need to be made.


We can help you to fully understand the complicated legal position involved in taking the step of surrogacy, especially if there is a foreign surrogacy arrangement.

We offer a 30 minute consultation without charge on matters concerning children.

Brexit: how a change in career path - and location - may impact family life

Britain is now in the midst of negotiations to exit the EU. It is trite to say that the ramifications will be felt far and wide, not the least for…

Carole Atkinson Partner
Parents' Day – promoting positive parental relationships

'Parent’s Day' is observed in the United States on the fourth Sunday of July, a celebration created in 1994 under President Bill Clinton.

Fiona Turner Partner

Travelling abroad with children

With the school summer holidays fast approaching, many parents are planning to take their children on holiday abroad.

Fiona Turner Partner

Court bars millionaire banker who refused to pay maintenance from making further applications

A millionaire banker has suffered defeat in the Court of Appeal in his bid to overturn a Hadkinson order and to vary maintenance paid to his ex-wife.

Matthew Taylor Solicitor

Separated parents urged to settle disputes over Christmas contact

Separated parents are advised to finalise arrangements for spending time with their children over the festive period as constructively and quickly as…

Fiona Turner Partner

What if people went on holiday and never came back?

Towards the end of a holiday it is not unusual for people to wish they could stay for longer, if not forever.

Lottie Tyler Associate

Applications for a parental Order in surrogacy cases: landmark decision to prioritise welfare & human rights ahead of strict 6 month time limit

A groundbreaking Judgment in the field of surrogacy law was handed down on Friday 3 October in the case of Re X (A Child).

Fiona Davidson Partner

Child arrangements orders and the abolition of residence and contact

From 22 April a number of significant changes in family law were introduced as the Children and Families Act 2014 came into force.

Emma Collins Partner