Get advice on environmental law
Our evironmental law solicitors provide market-leading experience and in-depth knowledge to solve your environment-related problems.
Our environmental law team has unparalleled experience and knowledge across all areas of international, EU and UK based environmental law.
Working closely with Government Agencies and industry associations, we have key insights into a range of current industry concerns.
The team which is highly recommended by independent legal directories Chambers & Partners and Legal 500, provides:
- Round-the-clock support on environmental incidents, litigation and compliance, wherever and whenever you need it through our unique 24/7 Environmental Defence and Advice Service; and
- Transactional support across a diverse range of sectors, including manufacturing, construction, utilities, transport and logistics, local government, education and social housing.
Being properly prepared for environmental incidents is crucial, as decisions taken in the early post-incident stages can significantly affect later outcomes, in terms of both reputation and liabilities. We can help you put procedures in place to prepare for any potential incidents. And thanks to EDAS, we're on hand 24/7 to protect your business when things go wrong.
Whether a post-incident investigation by the environmental regulators, a third-party claim, or an appeal against an environmental notice or permit, we are here to help you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our dedicated team of specialist environmental lawyers can guide you through the often complex litigation process, working with you to protect your interests and achieve a positive outcome.
Environmental compliance advice
Our environmental experts can help you resolve the full range of day-to-day compliance issues, such as waste disposal, emissions and emissions trading, CRC and ESOS, water and water pollution, permits and consents, EIA and environmental statements, producer responsibility, contaminated land or any other environmental compliance matter.
Environmental issues can arise on any deal or project, often with serious potential consequences for timescales and costs. Working with colleagues across Weightmans in areas such as local government, manufacturing, construction, utilities, transport and logistics, education and social housing, we can take care of any environmental matters that arise and help to keep transactions on track and on budget.
We achieve this not only through our advice on the correct application of environmental controls and requirements but also by implementing appropriate risk-sharing strategies, such as indemnities and environmental insurance policies.
We've recently worked with our clients on the following matters:
- Representing clients in relation to major environmental incidents, including water pollution, odour emissions, waste-related offences and chemical spills and leaks
- Agreeing and negotiating one of the first civil sanctions (Enforcement Undertaking) for a water pollution offence as an alternative to prosecution
- Advising operators on-site closures, permit surrenders, residual contamination and remediation strategies
- Advising on the planning and environment consents required for nationally significant renewable energy and energy from waste projects.
For further information in relation to our 24/7 environmental defence and advice service follow this link. The service is free to subscribe to and provides you with access to a market-leading team of environmental experts whenever you need support and assistance.
Boardroom training and online environmental compliance modules
The team frequently deliver bespoke interactive boardroom training sessions focusing on key risks. The team also delivers online webinar-based training programmes that cover recent and ongoing developments in environmental law, as well as specific compliance-based topics such as the waste duty of care. Please contact the team to find out how we can support you and your business with your training and development needs.