Simon is very diligent, proactive and knows his area of law very well.Chambers and Partners 2022
He is a fantastic lawyer who is knowledgeable, approachable and diligent.Chambers & Partners 2021
"Deep expertise in waste-to-energy projects, waste packaging and disposal. He is also recommended for advice on liability and risk in transactions and site acquisition, and for contentious matters."Chambers and Partners 2020
"Good at problem-solving and finding solutions."Chambers and Partners 2019
Simon Colvin is "commercial, responsive and has a good grasp of business needs and excellent knowledge of environmental law".Legal 500 2019
Simon leads the firm's environmental law team and is also head of the firm's energy and utilities sector. He is also closely involved in the development of the firm’s ESG programme (internal and external).
Simon is client relationship partner for several leading energy, utility, and resource/waste clients. That role gives him unique insight and understanding of the pressures and requirements that operators in those areas are subject to.
He works closely with those clients to understand what is important to them and how we can help them to achieve their goals.
Simon’s recent experience includes:
- The defence of investigations and prosecutions by the Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, and the Marine Management Organisation.
- An end of waste judicial review application.
- The export, transport and recovery of resources and fuels into and out of the UK.
- The interpretation of environmental permit conditions.
- The disposal of former manufacturing facilities for US corporations for remediation and subsequent development.
- Advising on the revocation of a hazardous substances consent.
- The application of MEES and EPC controls to the real estate portfolio of a household name FTSE 100 company.
Simon is a member of CIWM and writes a regular column in their journal, he is a fellow of IEMA and delivers a quarterly legal update webinar for them. He has supported the Broadway Initiative and a group of legal experts who worked with DEFRA in relation to the formation of the new Environment Act 2021.