Coronial law and inquests solicitors
Our coronial law and inquest solicitors provide expert advice on all matters relating to inquests in the coroner's court.
Our experts on inquests and coronial law regularly represent and advise a range of private and public sector clients in connection with all types of inquests and public inquiries, ranging from simple cases to the most complex and wide-ranging Article 2 inquests. Our clients include local authorities, police forces, fire and rescue services, health trusts and charities.
We advise both organisations and individuals on the law and procedure around the coronial process, and also on issues such as supporting employees who may be witnesses, helping to minimise the risk of reputational damage (both personal and corporate) and shaping media coverage. Our work is often in high-profile cases of the utmost sensitivity, with potentially far-reaching ramifications.
We are always mindful of the potential impact of the evidence given at inquest hearings upon associated proceedings, whether in the civil and criminal courts or in other disciplinary and regulatory settings, and assist clients in understanding how best to protect their interests.
Our areas of expertise include:
- New rules and procedure under the Coroner’s and Justice Act 2009 which came into force in July 2013.
- Supporting and advising staff
- Assisting with the preparation of statements and reports
- Liaising with the coroner and his team
- Advocacy in the coroner’s court, at inquests and pre-inquest review hearings
- Drafting submissions on the law
- Wide-ranging Article 2 inquests and jury cases
- Costs control
- Dealing with the media
- Helping clients to avoid or respond to Prevention of Future Death reports
Key contactsMeet our coronial law solicitors
Giving evidence to an inquest?
Our healthcare inquest team have put together a free 40 minute video guide to the process.Watch our video