Owner managed businesses
Owner managed businesses are a key part of the UK economy and a highly valued component of our own client base.
We are an OMB ourselves and understand the issues that business owners face. We recognise the particular needs of the Owner Managed Business sector for pragmatic advice that respects the separate but often linked needs of individual business owners and those of their businesses.
Our clients range from tech startups to high growth entrepreneur-driven companies and mature family businesses that have been through generational ownership change.
We believe that all clients deserve a service that is technically excellent, commercial, pragmatic and delivered in jargon-free style.
Our commercial and private client lawyers work as one team to provide a service that brings our specialisms together to offer advice and solutions that fully address your concerns. As a full-service law firm, we are able to anticipate and understand the full range of issues faced by business owners and offer comprehensive solutions.
We advise business owners and those funders and professionals that support them on:
- Startups (funding, shareholders agreements, service agreement, mentoring owners)
- Attracting and retaining staff (HR advice, share schemes and bonus arrangements)
- Managing supply chains (conditions of sale, long-term supply contracts, procurement advice, agency and distribution arrangements, joint ventures and export sales)
- Equity investments and funding (from venture capital houses, banks, grant agencies) and getting a business ready for investment
- Regulatory compliance (health and safety, environmental, data protection etc.)
- Tax efficient group structures and personal ownership models
- Wealth management and will and estate planning
- Business and share purchases
- Succession planning
- Sales to co-owners and advice regarding cross option life insurance arrangements.
- In single family companies, will the family be willing and able to take the business on?
- Drafting Family Charters and creating Family Investment Company structures.
- Management buyouts where family succession is not an option
- Trade sale and exits to VCs
Whilst we are a national firm, we have strong commercial and private client teams in all our locations able to bring their local knowledge and relationships to bear in support of your business needs and aspirations.
We support business owners not just through the way in which we deliver our services but also:
- By our commercially sensitive approach to pricing, particularly for startups and early-stage growth companies
- In the packaging of fixed price services such as our HR Rely service and our debt recovery service
- Through the management support, such as personal mentoring to individual owners and collective boardroom training on core regulatory and risk and compliance issues
- In the relationships we help to foster on behalf of our clients with potential customers, suppliers, advisors and funders.
Weightmans LLP has a 'superb' corporate team that delivers 'relevant and clear advice with a commercial view'. The team is particularly singled out for its track record in private M&A in the owner-managed and mid-market business space.Legal 500 2017
Weightmans LLP’s 'extremely knowledgeable and proactive team' advises on tax aspects of corporate acquisitions and disposals and tax-efficient corporate restructurings. Real estate-related tax is a key focus; areas of expertise include SDLT, VAT and capital allowances in relation to UK property transactions. It also advises public sector bodies on tax-efficient models for joint ventures and collaborative operations, and assists owner-managed businesses with the design and implementation of employee incentives.Legal 500 2017
Weightmans leads the way with BIBA and ITN Productions
National law firm Weightmans LLP has worked with the British Insurance Brokers’ Association and ITN Productions Industry News to launch “Leading the…Ed Lewis Partner
Sovini Group brings in Weightmans as lead legal partner
Merseyside’s The Sovini Group has appointed national law firm Weightmans as its principal legal services provider following a competitive bidding…Sian Evans Partner
Suspending an employee: Our guide to making an informed decision
Employers should not avoid suspension completely, but a decision to suspend needs to be a considered one.Mark Leach Partner
LEGAL ANALYSIS: Why it's important to get condition precedents right
The terms of a condition precedent have been the subject of judicial analysis in a recent Court of Appeal decision
Company restoration: Time limit removed for insurers
Insurers will now be able to bring proceedings in the name of companies no matter when they were dissolved.