Owner managed businesses
Owner managed businesses are a key part of the UK economy and a highly valued component of our own client base.
We are an OMB ourselves and understand the issues that business owners face. We recognise the particular needs of the Owner Managed Business sector for pragmatic advice that respects the separate but often linked needs of individual business owners and those of their businesses.
Our clients range from tech startups to high growth entrepreneur-driven companies and mature family businesses that have been through generational ownership change.
We believe that all clients deserve a service that is technically excellent, commercial, pragmatic and delivered in jargon-free style.
Our commercial and private client lawyers work as one team to provide a service that brings our specialisms together to offer advice and solutions that fully address your concerns. As a full-service law firm, we are able to anticipate and understand the full range of issues faced by business owners and offer comprehensive solutions.
We advise business owners and those funders and professionals that support them on:
- Startups (funding, shareholders agreements, service agreement, mentoring owners)
- Attracting and retaining staff (HR advice, share schemes and bonus arrangements)
- Managing supply chains (conditions of sale, long-term supply contracts, procurement advice, agency and distribution arrangements, joint ventures and export sales)
- Equity investments and funding (from venture capital houses, banks, grant agencies) and getting a business ready for investment
- Regulatory compliance (health and safety, environmental, data protection etc.)
- Tax efficient group structures and personal ownership models
- Wealth management and will and estate planning
- Business and share purchases
- Succession planning
- Sales to co-owners and advice regarding cross option life insurance arrangements.
- In single family companies, will the family be willing and able to take the business on?
- Drafting Family Charters and creating Family Investment Company structures.
- Management buyouts where family succession is not an option
- Trade sale and exits to VC
- Disputes and litigation (commercial disputes, cyber, debt recovery, defamation and reputation management)
Whilst we are a national firm, we have strong commercial and private client teams in all our locations able to bring their local knowledge and relationships to bear in support of your business needs and aspirations.
We support business owners not just through the way in which we deliver our services but also:
- By our commercially sensitive approach to pricing, particularly for startups and early-stage growth companies
- In the packaging of fixed price services such as our HR Rely service and our debt recovery service
- Through the management support, such as personal mentoring to individual owners and collective boardroom training on core regulatory and risk and compliance issues
- In the relationships we help to foster on behalf of our clients with potential customers, suppliers, advisors and funders.
'In conversation with…'
A series of interviews in which we sit down with and talk in-depth to clients about the impact of Coronavirus on their business, the steps they've taken to adjust their business to lockdown, how they're addressing the recovery phase of the pandemic and what impact it had on their long-term plans for their business.
In conversation with Mark Haydock, Managing Director, edp
In conversation with Brian Fulton, Director of Finance & Operations at Hold Fast Entertainment
In conversation with Jonathan Koslover, Managing Director at Manchester Fertility
In conversation with Andy Pilley, BES Utilities
Weightmans LLP has a 'superb' corporate team that delivers 'relevant and clear advice with a commercial view'. The team is particularly singled out for its track record in private M&A in the owner-managed and mid-market business space.Legal 500 2017
Weightmans LLP’s 'extremely knowledgeable and proactive team' advises on tax aspects of corporate acquisitions and disposals and tax-efficient corporate restructurings. Real estate-related tax is a key focus; areas of expertise include SDLT, VAT and capital allowances in relation to UK property transactions. It also advises public sector bodies on tax-efficient models for joint ventures and collaborative operations, and assists owner-managed businesses with the design and implementation of employee incentives.Legal 500 2017InsightsThird party litigation funding and the impact of COVID-19
In the current economic climate caused by the COVID-19 pandemic businesses are more than ever looking at ways to try and manage costs and maximise…Damian Carter Partner
NewsWeightmans advises 3D Bio-Tissues on six figure funding
A corporate team from national law firm Weightmans has advised 3D Bio-Tissues, creators of an innovative tissue engineering technology, on its…Paul Wigham Partner
InsightsCOVID-19: The increased threat of fraud and how to deal with it
Individuals need to be aware that they are now more vulnerable to fraud, particularly of the online type, which means that more vigilance is needed.Euros Jones Partner
InsightsPartnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs); partnership exits during and after COVID-19
Andrew Cromby looks at just how easy it may or may not be to dispense with unwanted partners.
InsightsGovernment announces additional measures to protect business tenants from debt recovery actions
Commercial landlords have been temporarily prevented from taking action against tenants who have failed to pay their rent due to the pandemic.Peter Hall Principal Associate