Get expert advice on LGBTQ+ family issues
Whether you need support with planning a family via an alternative route or advice on relationship breakdown, our knowledgeable family law solicitors can provide guidance on a variety of matters.
Weightmans is proud to be a modern, forward thinking legal practice. We have actively built up a diverse workforce and are committed to supporting diversity and inclusion.
Our top family lawyers have the in-depth expertise to help you in the following areas.
Relationship breakdown including:
- Same sex divorce
- Dissolution of civil partnerships
- Converting a civil partnership to a marriage
- Financial settlements on divorce/dissolution
- Prenuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements
- Cohabitation disputes
- Domestic abuse
Family creation including:
- Surrogacy and assisted conception
- Consent law — eggs and sperm and embryos
- Storage periods of eggs, sperm and embryos
- Legal parenthood and who should be included on the birth certificate
- Parental orders, parental responsibility and acquisition of parental responsibility
- Co-parenting and co-parenting agreements
Arrangements for children and children disputes including:
- Child arrangements (custody/residence, contact/spends time with orders)
- Prohibited steps orders
- Specific issue orders
- Change of name
- Holiday disputes
- Child relocation
- Gender dysphoria and family disputes where either a child identifies as transgender or a parent has transitioned
- Schedule 1 applications
Our child law solicitors have extensive experience in resolving these issues sensitively and constructively.
International family law including:
- Child abduction/non return of children
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Many separating couples wish to avoid the court process as this can be an expensive and stressful method of resolving family disputes. Whilst court is not always avoidable in every case, there are a number of other non court/alternative dispute resolution (ADR) options available to separated couples. Learn more about non-court/Alternative Dispute Resolution options for separated couples.