"Simon Ball has all the right litigation instincts and immense experience in this niche area."Legal 500 2023
"Simon Ball regularly acts for insurers on personal injury claim with a particular focus on cases originating in France. He is particularly adept at assisting with the defence of claims involving road traffic accidents."Chambers and Partners 2023
"Due to his experience, he can cut to the chase and determine what the key points in the case are without having to spend a lot of time investigating the issues.”Chambers and Partners 2023
"He is efficient, sensible and doesn't take points unnecessarily."Chambers and Partners 2023
"Simon Ball is one of the best, if not the best, lawyers dealing with jurisdictional issues. He is also very good at understandings clients' needs and doing what he can to seek the best outcome."Legal 500
"The ‘extremely experienced‘ Simon Ball leads the practice’s work for defendants and is particularly skilled in cases involving incidents which occurred in France."Legal 500
Simon is a leading practitioner in the field of European and cross-border insurance and personal injury law, with particular expertise in French accident law.
He is responsible for the management of defendant insurance litigation in the UK on behalf of 30+ European insurers in France, Spain, Belgium, Greece and Bulgaria.
He has acted for insurers in many of the leading cases on applicable law and the Rome II Regulation including before the European Court in the case which decided the date of application of the Regulation: Homawoo v GMF.
Simon is highly regarded for his sensible and commercial approach to defending claims, while always striving to ensure that claims are settled for a reasonable amount when conceded but equally prepared to fight cases on liability where there is a good defence.
With excellent communication skills (in English and French) and having a detailed understanding of his client’s own systems of law, Simon can explain how a matter will be handled by a UK court by reference to the insurance company’s expectations of the litigation process.
Simon has worked in the field since 1992 when he joined the firm, and he became a partner in 2000, and he has carried out roles of Practice Director and Managing Partner since 2015.
Simon is a member of:
- Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL) including the European Sector Focus Team
- Institute of European Travel Law (IETL) where he is a board member and is active in the organisation of the IETL’s annual conference
- Achieved a settlement by agreement at £14.5 million, on a claim pleaded in excess of £20 million, for the French insurers of a lorry driver, after he collided with Claimant’s vehicle on a French autoroute. Damages fell to be assessed according to French law.
- Successfully defended a ski instructor in a claim brought by a victim with catastrophic injuries; this is the leading case on QOWCS in relation to third party claims decided by the Court of Appeal (Wagenaar v Weekend Travel Ltd Serradj)
- Acted for the French insurers of a driver in a claim where a victim who suffered brain damage received damages of £9.885 million.