Highly effective at both providing direct advice and managing others to ensure that the client experience was as easy as possible… Tom was always aiming to resolve this difficult issue in our favour in the most pragmatic way possible, thinking as laterally as he could to ensure all scenarios were considered. I would happily recommend Tom and the Weightmans team.Client
Tom is a Partner in the construction and engineering team. He advises clients in both the public and private sector. He is responsible for managing the team nationally.
Tom has 20 years' experience in advising on dispute resolution. He regularly advises clients across a broad range of sectors and industry disciplines. He advises in relation to all construction-related disputes including claims for extensions of time, loss and expense, applications for payment, final account disputes and defective works/allegations of negligence.
Tom has acted in a number of adjudications ranging from payment disputes and claims for extensions of time to more complex and substantive negligence claims. He has also been involved in, and advised on, the other most common forms of dispute resolution such as arbitration and litigation. He regularly advises in relation to, and participates in, alternative dispute resolution including mediation.
A large part of Tom's practice is dispute avoidance and as part of that, he regularly provides ongoing day to day strategic project advice with senior-level contacts at client organisations.
In addition, Tom has previous experience of advising on breach of warranty, misrepresentation and injunctive relief claims.
Tom also advises on the drafting of construction agreements. He is familiar with all the major standard forms of contract and advises in relation to amendments to those standard forms. He also advises on the drafting and negotiation of supporting and associated documents such as professional team appointments, collateral warranties and bonds.
Tom has been recognised in the Legal 500 for his experience in disputes work. He delivers training to clients on key issues affecting their business relating to the construction industry. This includes delivering seminars to trade bodies and on matters such as building safety, recent case-law and innovation. He has written a number of articles which have been published in key sector publications including in the Construction Law Journal.
Examples of work which Tom has advised on include:
- Acting for a claimant company in arbitration on a multi-million pound claim for losses arising out of works on an international infrastructure development;
- Acting for a client in defence of an adjudication claiming losses of over £1m for alleged negligent design on a highways project and significantly reducing the damages claimed;
- Acting for various public bodies in relation to multi-million pound defects claims;
- Advising a designer in relation to claimed defects on a PFI project;
- Advising and bringing a claim in adjudication to challenge contra-charges on a transport development project
- Advising a school on various issues arising out of a multi-million pound build including defects, practical completion and final account settlement
- Advising a client in relation to risk and the resolution of a multi-party supply chain dispute arising out of the supply of materials for use in a construction project
- Defending in full an adjudication for substantial extension of time on a complex development and providing the client with day to day project advice in relation to claims for defective works, applications for payment and practical completion
- Advising on a multi-million pound infrastructure dispute including providing risk advice on contracts and day to day advice to senior management
- Advising a social housing provider on the drafting of construction documentation arising out of the establishment of a corporate vehicle to undertake property developments on its behalf
- Advising public bodies on contract terms for flagship building developments
- Advising a charitable company on the terms of a development agreement for the construction of a new mixed use church and residential units;