Chris PowellPrincipal Associate
Chris is a leading road transport regulatory specialist. He advises goods vehicle and passenger transport operator licence holders on all aspects of transport regulation.
He frequently represents transport companies at public inquiry hearings before the Traffic Commissioners across the UK, and has extensive experience representing professional drivers at driver conduct hearings and at the Magistrates’ courts.
Chris advises and represents transport companies undergoing investigation by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), including interviews under caution and desk-based assessment audits.
Chris is recognised as a leading lawyer in this niche area of law. He regularly writes for industry publications and delivers talks and presentations to professional and trade bodies across the transport sector.
His clients include national and multinational haulage and logistics companies, coach and bus operators, and both standard and restricted operator licence holders. His focus is on risk mitigation and delivering practical, no-nonsense solutions for his clients.
Chris’s specialisms include:
- Traffic Commissioner Public Inquiries, Preliminary Hearings and Senior Team Leader Meetings;
- DVSA interviews under caution, Desk-Based Assessment audits and prosecutions;
- Fleet compliance, roadworthiness and drivers’ hours;
- Board-level risk and compliance advice;
- Border Force clandestine entrant civil penalties;
- Vehicle seizures, cabotage and impounding hearings;
- Operator licence applications, variations and exemptions.