Rebecca CairneyPrincipal Associate
Rebecca joined Weightmans in 2012 and is an Associate in the employment, pensions and immigration team, based in Liverpool, specialising in employment law and immigration.
She handles a diverse caseload of complex and sensitive discrimination and unfair dismissal claims with a particular expertise in worker status and objective justification of discrimination matters. She also provides advice on a range of issues including conduct, sickness absence management, performance and capability, as well as intricate matters such as restructuring exercises, TUPE and Trade Union activities.
Rebecca advises on business immigration queries including sponsorship licence applications (new or renewal), right to work queries, the immigration rules and procedures and mock UKVI compliance audits, as well as providing clients with day to day advice on the overlap between immigration and employment law.
She has supported many clients with the immigration changes post-Brexit and changes to compliance rules during the coronavirus pandemic.
Rebecca works with a wide range of clients from a variety of sectors including transport and logistics, NHS Trusts and private healthcare services.
She is an experienced advocate in the Employment Tribunal, regularly representing clients on discrimination and unfair dismissal claims.
Rebecca has written articles for HR Focus and Employment Law Journal. She is also a member of the Liverpool Law Society Employment Law Committee, contributing to a number of Government consultations, and the Employment Tribunal User Group.
She is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA) and the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (ILPA).
Rebecca carries out pro bono work on an ad hoc basis and is a mentor for students from the University of Liverpool.
Recent work highlights
- Supported a national company through a large restructuring exercise
- Successfully resolved a number of worker status claims on behalf of a logistics company
- Developed a legal clinic for NHS Trust staff
- Supported a multinational logistics company with an application for a sponsorship licence
- Provided a mock UKVI compliance audit for a multinational healthcare company
- Is an established Level 1 user for a number of UK clients
- Provided extensive advice on the new immigration system to a range of clients