IT law and intellectual property solicitors
Our specialist IT and intellectual property solicitors’ extensive technical expertise and experience covers every aspect of software, e-commerce and intellectual property, including drafting bespoke contracts, acting on corporate transactions in the sector, and pursuing and defending claims.
Our cross-sector expert team has a deservedly solid reputation for providing high value, solution-focussed and commercial advice on complex IT and IP matters to high profile clients within the public and private sectors.
We make it our job to understand IT and IP, so we can work with you to enable your business to access IT resources and use and commercialise intellectual property. We are always clear about our role and deliver your needs in a pragmatic and efficient way.
We are well known for advising fast-growing and established tech companies upon commercialisation of technology and funding, working on high value and important technology projects, and advising large private sector entities and public bodies upon transformational IT projects and disputes.
Some recent examples of work:
- Advising a university upon a transformational core systems project
- Advising upon the best routes to procure IT
- Drafting a software development agreement with a major online retailer
- Advising an NHS Trust upon a software backed multi-Trust bank system for junior doctors
- Advising a global real estate tech company upon a dispute with a software development company
- Advising a tech company on funding for an electronic COVID test and a number of cross border licencing agreements
- The sale of a cloud-based video collaboration software business
- Advising an aviation tech company upon a multi-million pound investment
- Successfully negotiating and terminating a high value IT agreement for a local authority due to a number of material defaults
- Representing a global tech company with negotiation of various agile software agreements with leading high street brands
- Regularly representing award winning app developer with review and negotiation of a high value software development agreements with major brands, along with negotiation of high value software agreements with premiership football clubs and leading sport institutions
- Representing innovative company with review and negotiation of app development contract which produced a next generation app with a world first fan experience for a new global sports league. The work was shortlisted for “Best Innovative Campaign” for world first sport fan experience app.
Intellectual property (IP) is often a valuable asset and its unique need for legal protection requires expertise.
Our IP expertise covers both non-contentious (such as assignments and licences) and contentious (IP disputes). We regularly advise clients upon IP matters whether as part of a larger project or transaction or as a stand-alone arrangement. We provide expert IP advice both in the private sector and the public sector. Our IP work is often high profile and recent examples include:
- Robbie Williams' investment into LMA Performing Arts School
- Licence of rights of a well-known TV presenter to a home furnishings company
- International IP dispute between two retailers of fried chicken
Licence of rights of sports celebrities to a pharmaceutical company to raise awareness of a disease
- Licence of genomics software from one NHS trust to another
- Collaboration and development agreement between a University and a police force
- Licence and assignment of various IP rights for a University in relation to theatre production
- Licence and assignment of various IP rights for a University in relation to student learning and online training platforms
- Licence of various IP rights for medical supply and health care originations in relation to treatment and international training platforms.
Key contactView all experts
Partner+44 (0)141 375 0865 Email Nicola