We are a national healthcare firm, with over 80 specialists, many of whom are recognised for their expertise in the key Legal Directories:
Our expert team combines legal and medical expertise, with doctors, nurses and other health professionals contributing specialist knowledge.
Our specialist Healthcare team covers all areas of healthcare and related law and practice, including:
Medical, surgical and dental malpractice/Clinical negligence
- We are on NHS Resolution’s panel, acting for over 50 of their Members
- We also act for a growing body of commercial insurers
Contact: Rachel Kneale
Services for NHS commissioners and providers
- Clinical, corporate and information governance: statutory powers, constitutions and decision making processes, including public consultation; health and safety and risk management policies and processes, including health and safety prosecutions; roles and responsibilities of chief executives and chairs of Trusts; conflicts, crises and other reputation management issues
- Commercial dispute resolution: contractual disputes, debt recovery, recovery actions, enforcing restrictive covenants, insolvency, judicial reviews
- Construction and engineering: advice on capital estate decisions regarding funding, procurement and management of contracts
- Employment: advice on issues such as the Agenda for Change, governance, the Maintaining High Professional Standards (MHPS) framework and the role of regulatory professional bodies and cost improvements plans (CIPs) in delivering change
- Foundation Trust applications
- Healthcare advisory: FOI requests, DPA, Duty of candour
- Healthcare regulation: advising in relation to CQC inspections; HSE investigations
- Inquests: specialist support and expert insights through all stages of the coronial process
- Judicial Reviews: from compliance with pre-action protocols, to representation at the full hearing
- Mental health: Human Rights Act, treatment of children in detention, assessment of capacity, best interest decisions, community treatment orders and confidentiality; tribunal law procedure and representation; homicide inquiries and representation at inquests involving patients detained under the Mental Health Act; advising on capacity to manage finances, entry into sexual relations; deprivation of liberty and restraint; the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and applications to the Court of Protection
- Real estate: advising on real estate issues across the healthcare market place
- Risk management: relating to data protection and freedom of information.
Contact: Richard Jolly
Services for General Practitioners, Dentists and other healthcare professionals
- Core partnership advice
- Practice mergers
- Partnership disputes and partner retirements
- GMS/PMS and APMS contract matters
- Governance issues
- Integration projects
- Partnership federations, and JV projects
- Property law for new surgery developments, surgery acquisition and disposal, landlord and tenant, service charge disputes
- Rent reviews, premises costs directions issues and GP property finance
- Complex employment and pensions issues
- CQC registration and other governance and regulatory issues
- Private client, including family, divorce and Wills
Contact: Edwina Farrell
- We have a dedicated team of medical defence specialists, acting for Doctors, Dentists and other healthcare professionals in all aspects of defence, including: fitness to practise procedures conducted by their regulatory body, hearings before the Interim Orders Tribunal, Medical Practitioners Tribunal, and their equivalents; disciplinary and capability procedures; inquests; criminal procedures; injunction and judicial review proceedings
- Acting via defence organisations - we are instructed by medical and dental defence organisations to represent individual members in all aspects of defence.
- Acting on private instructions in the absence of defence cover - we accept instructions on a private basis from individual practitioners in circumstances where the practitioner either falls outside the discretionary assistance of their defence organisation, or where the practitioner is not a member of a defence organisation.
Contact: James Rowley
The team is on the consortia for HealthTrust Europe, NHS Commercial Alliance, NHS Resolution, NHS Shared Business Services and NHS North of England.
Call our dedicated phone number for healthcare enquiries out of hours, we're here 24 hours a day, seven days a week: 0151 243 9830.
- Ranked Band 1 for "Clinical Negligence: Mainly Defendant" – Chambers and Partners 2019.
- Ranked Band 2 for "Healthcare" – Chambers and Partners 2019.
- Ranked Band 2 for "Healthcare: Mental Health: Providers" – Chambers and Partners 2019.
Introducing Remedy - our healthcare complaints handling solution
We have launched ‘Remedy,’ a market leading bespoke healthcare complaints handling solution to help the NHS deal with complaints efficiently and effectively, irrespective of the complexity.Learn more