Reporting a workplace health and safety problem under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

Regulations require work-related deaths and injuries to be reported to the relevant enforcing authority.

Regulations 4-6 of RIDDOR require work-related deaths and injuries to be reported to the relevant enforcing authority. The below points set out what needs to be reported and to whom.

When to report?

A report must be made when:

  • There has been an accident which caused the injury
  • The accident was work-related
  • The injury is of a type which is reportable

A report must be made for most types of accident including accidents resulting in the death of any person, specified injuries to workers, non-fatal accidents requiring hospital treatment to non-workers and dangerous occurrences.

The report must be made to the enforcing authority without delay and within ten days of the incident.

In cases of occupational disease, a report must be made to the enforcing authority as soon as a diagnosis has been made.

An accident is 'work-related' if any of the following played a significant role:

  • The way the work was carried out
  • Any machinery, plant, substances or equipment used for the work or
  • The condition of the site or premises where the accident happened

What must be reported?

The full list of types of reportable injuries can be found on the HSE website however they include the death of any person including non-workers and injuries such as fractures (other than to fingers, thumbs and toes), amputations, serious burns and any loss of consciousness.

Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee being away from work, or being unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days as a result of their injury.

Accidents must be recorded but not reported where they result in a worker being incapacitated for more than three consecutive days. A downloadable accident book is available for purchase on the HSE website.

Who should report?

The following people are classed as ‘responsible persons’ under RIDDOR and therefore required to report accidents at work: 

  • An employer or person in control of premises
  • Self-employed persons if the accident happened whilst working in their own premises
  • Employment Agency
  • Gas Supplier and Gas Engineer

Who should report be made to?

The HSE is the enforcing authority for the following workplaces:

  • Factories
  • Farms
  • Building Sites
  • Mines
  • Schools and Colleges
  • Fairgrounds
  • Gas, Electricity and Water Systems
  • Hospitals and Nursing Homes
  • Central and Local Government Premises
  • Offshore Installations

The Local Authority Environmental Department is responsible for the following:

  • Offices (except Government Offices)
  • Shops
  • Hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Leisure Premises
  • Nurseries and Playgrounds
  • Pubs and Clubs
  • Museums (privately owned)
  • Places of Worship
  • Sheltered Accommodation and Care Homes.

For further information, please refer to the HSE website.

How to make a report?

Accident reports can be made online via the HSE website. The online form is automatically submitted to the HSE RIDDOR database upon completion.

Fatal and major incidents can be reported by telephone via the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm).

What does this all mean?

It is important to make an early, logical and recorded decision not to report under RIDDOR. Read the HSE Guidance and take advice as appropriate. You will then have evidence to demonstrate the approach taken if for example you conclude the accident was not work-related. If having completed initial investigations a different view is taken about the decision not to report then put the report in promptly.

In the meantime as with all investigations make sure you preserve evidence in particular any in electronic form such as CCTV or photos on mobile phones.

Share on Twitter