Anna represents a broad range of clients including property investors, privately owned property groups, commercial developers, landowners, public authorities and government bodies. She is known for delivering astute and commercial legal advice, taking particular care from the outset to have a clear understanding of her clients' objective. Anna goes the extra mile to ensure that her work and relations with clients and all parties involved in her matters are first class.
Cited in the Legal 500 as being amongst the leading “next generation lawyers” to watch, Anna has been praised for being “really proactive with all the complexities surrounding wholesale exit from large leasehold buildings, whether they be breaks or natural expires”.
Whilst property litigation is the core of her practice, Anna fully appreciates the need for effective conflict avoidance, both through an advisory role at an early stage and all types of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration and adjudication.
Examples of Anna’s recent work include:
- Exercise of break options: successfully extracting a high profile tenant from commercial premises following the exercise of a conditional break option. The premises were to be yielded up with vacant possession. The tenant had been in occupation for decades, having installed bespoke communications and IT server rooms and significant internal portioning.
- Dilapidations: negotiated settlement of several multi-million pound claims, including arguments on supersession and diminution in value.
- Lease renewal proceedings (opposed): advise as to whether the landlord had successfully substantiated its ground of opposition (demolition/construction) giving rise to the tenant’s claim for statutory compensation and subsequent dilapidations liability.
- Breach of lease covenants: advising landed estate in connection with the enforceability of 'keep open' clauses, forfeiture by peaceable re-entry or service of s146 notice.
- Professional negligence: acted for liquidator in multi-million pound professional negligence claim against quantity surveyor acting as employer’s agent. Working in conjunction with specialist counsel and experts in formulating claim.
- Development site assessment: advising landed estate as to potential strategies for the removal of multiple and varied occupational interests spanning decades, with varying and unclear occupational status to allow for significant future redevelopment.
- Construction: represented long leasehold management company of large mixed use development with the benefit of assigned warranties, in a 'Grenfell' cladding case against national building contractor.
Key skills include:
- Break notices
- Lease renewals (opposed and unopposed)
- Forfeiture (peaceable re-entry and s146 notices)
- Tenant default (rent recovery, breach of contract, disrepair etc)
- Service charge disputes (commercial and residential)
- Leasehold enfranchisement
- Possession claims
- Trespasser and squatters
- Professional negligence (property related)
- Land Registry rectification claims
- Boundary disputes, rights of light and party walls
- Tenant insolvency.