Daniel is an Associate in our construction and engineering team. He has over 10 years’ experience in both construction transactions and disputes.
Daniel has extensive experience in drafting, negotiating and advising on the full suite of construction documentation, including building/engineering contracts (including JCT, NEC, ICC, PPC 2000 and bespoke), letters of intent, framework agreements, performance bonds, parent company guarantees, consultant appointments, sub-contracts and collateral warranties. Daniel also advises on the construction-related elements of development agreements, funding agreements and agreements for lease.
Daniel has also advised and represented numerous developers, owner/operators, contractors and sub-contractors through adjudication, litigation, mediation, expert determination and arbitration (domestic and international). He has advised on numerous multi-million pound/euro defect claims involving breach of contract, breach of warranty, negligence and misrepresentation, both within the UK and internationally, as well as claims for extensions of time, loss and expense and interim payment and final account disputes.
Daniel has delivered numerous training seminars to clients and industry groups on key issues within the construction industry.
Examples of Daniel’s work includes:
- Acted for a European ethanol plant operator in relation to a multi-million euro ICC Arbitration claim against a French contractor for design defects in an industrial dryer procured under the FIDIC Green Book.
- Acted for a high net worth individual in bringing claims against a fit-out contractor and design team in relation to defects in the fit-out of his £20m London penthouse, procured under a JCT Prime Cost Contract. Successfully defended an interim payment adjudication commenced by the contractor, resulting in an award less than one-third the value claimed.
- Advised one of the UK’s top television studios in relation to a circa £10m claim against a structural engineer for defects in the design of a new stage and set for a major UK soap opera and consequential delay-related losses arising from the defect.
- Acted for a housing association in defending claims for £1m loss and expense and breach of contract by its building contractor under JCT Design and Build Contract 2005, in respect of a £18m care home.
- Acted for a leading waste recycling and energy recovery company in defending claims by a contractor for over 40 compensation events under an amended NEC3 contract valued at over £500k.
- Acted for a religious charity in relation to several disputes involving the construction of a new mosque and community centre, including successfully defending an interim payment adjudication, bringing TCC proceedings against an architect for professional negligence by significantly exceeding the client’s cost budget and brief and advising on the client’s remedies following the insolvency of its fit-out contractor.
- Acted for a joint-venture waste to energy / waste management company in defending a claim from a developer in relation to alleged design and construction defects in an anaerobic digestion plant procured under an IChemE contract.
- Acted for a Chinese high-tech investment company in relation to the funding of the construction and acquisition of a £180m science park at a leading UK university, involving significant negotiation of the construction elements of the development agreement and the full suite of construction documents to be provided as security to the client.
- Acted for various commercial developers in the procurement of the design and construction of numerous mixed-use development schemes valued between £20m-£135m.
- Acted for a developer in relation to the procurement of the design and construction of a 148,000 square-foot award-winning, environmentally-friendly (BREEAM excellent) department store.
- Acted for a high-end retailer in relation to the procurement of the £12m fit-out to their flagship store in London.
- Acted for a premier-league football club in relation to the procurement of a circa 25k seat expansion of the their iconic stadium.
- Advised on construction documentation provided as security to funders and purchasers in relation to numerous property transactions, including: (i) a government executive agency acquiring numerous purpose-built sites throughout the UK; (ii) a US automobile service company acquiring sites as part of a UK expansion strategy; (iii) the purchase of a large national distribution centre; and (iv) various retailer clients acquiring tenancies of retail units.
- Acted for an investment fund in relation to the procurement of £10m+ residential developments in Sheffield and Bristol, which included (amongst other things) preparing a detailed deed of variation to ‘rebase’ one of the developments following significant delays caused by planning issues.
- Acted for a number of universities and further education institutions in relation to the procurement of new-build and refurbishment construction projects.
- Acted for a fire and rescue service in relation to the procurement of the design and construction of their new headquarters and training station.