"Nigel West is an astute tactician and always has an eye on the client’s commercial objective."Legal 500 2024
"Nigel West is simply the best and has a speciality for professional negligence. He is supremely primed for contentious trust matters."Legal 500 2024
Nigel West is an experienced litigator with excellent judgment. He is very effective at spotting, and exploiting, the weak spots on the other side.Legal 500 2023
Nigel West… is a great litigator and a pleasure to deal with.Legal 500 2023
Possesses a wealth of experience in the legal services domain, which he utilises to counsel legal professionals and law firms on SRA appeals and SDT proceedings. He is particularly knowledgeable in relation to cases concerning sexual misconduct and SRA Accounts Rules breaches.Chambers and Partners 2022
Nigel West is a ferocious operator when he needs to be and he has always had our backs when the gloves have needed to come off. People do not mess with Nigel I find and he always seems to be very well respected by all parties.Legal 500 2022
Formerly of RadcliffesLeBrasseur, Nigel has specialised in defence work for solicitors facing Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal proceedings for over 20 years. He advises solicitors and legal practices on all stages of the disciplinary process from SRA investigations to SDT proceedings and appeals. The team, led by Nigel West, is recognised as one of the leading firms for Solicitors Regulation in Chambers and Partners and is named as a Leading Individual in Professional Discipline in the Legal 500.
Many of Nigel’s clients have chosen to instruct him on their litigation cases for twenty years or more. Many of his clients are other solicitors who select him for his expertise. He has wide commercial litigation experience ranging from informal settlements to mediation, injunctions, trials and appeals.
Nigel’s work on professional regulation includes:
- Successfully defending a solicitor in the SDT facing a money laundering complaint and obtaining an order dismissing the proceedings
- Successfully appealing a decision of the SDT to strike off a solicitor for dishonesty and obtaining the SRA’s consent to a High Court order setting aside the Tribunal’s decision in its entirety and directing a re-hearing
- Acting for a solicitor facing SDT proceedings for property transactions allegedly bearing the hallmarks of mortgage fraud and negotiating the withdrawal of the proceedings on terms that the solicitor enters into a Regulatory Settlement Agreement
- Successfully acting for a solicitor appealing an SRA intervention and obtaining an order by consent that the intervention resolution be withdrawn
- Obtaining the reversal of an Adjudicator’s Decision to severely reprimand a solicitor for breach of confidentiality
Nigel West and Susanna Heley (who is also a partner at the firm) are co-authors of the 2019 and 2022 editions of ‘The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal — law and practice’.
Nigel is also a Contributing Editor to the solicitors regulation section of Cordery on Legal Services. He is also the Cases Editor for The Law Society’s Legal Compliance Bulletin.
Nigel is a Committee Member of the Solicitors Assistance Scheme and a member of the Law Society’s Regulatory Processes Committee. He has acted as an SDT duty solicitor and he sits as a Defence Representative on the SDT Users Group.
He is also a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL).