Susan joined Weightmans in 2015. She was Director of Legal and Secretariat at the University of Bradford from 2008 until May 2015 where she was directly responsible for managing and advising on strategic legal, regulatory and compliance risk. Susan works exclusively with HE institutions.
Susan’s credentials in HE legal practice include:
- A track record in building collegiate relationships with University corporate services and in working directly with academic colleagues to implement change;
- Wide experience of cross-working across a range of University issues and colleagues on legal issues;
- Researching, responding to, analysing and advising on legal issues that impact on services, organisational performance, external contractual relationships, research projects and University partnerships that have led to or may lead to legal dispute;
- Developing proposals to support University colleagues to address legal challenges: e.g. legal risk assessment; template documents, legal process review, developing and delivering bespoke training.
- Susan specialises in supporting HE managers on the implementation of solutions in response to legal issues and as a valuable addition to the HEI’s team.
- Susan is the third member of the team to be recruited from an in-house position.
A legal claim by a former Oxford University student (for circa £1m loss of earnings) has been highlighted in the media as a claim about the standard…
In the 2015 Autumn Statement, the Government announced its intention to introduce an ‘apprenticeship levy’ to facilitate increased numbers of…
A recent UCU headline: "University graduations at risk as union gives green light to marking boycott" demonstrates that the current pay dispute is…