Tom is “highly effective at both providing direct advice and managing others to ensure that the client experience was as easy as possible…Tom was always aiming to resolve this difficult issue in our favour in the most pragmatic way possible, thinking as laterally as he could to ensure all scenarios were considered. I would happily recommend Tom and the Weightmans team”.Client
Tom is a partner in the construction and engineering team. He advises clients in both the public and private sector.
Tom advises on the drafting of construction agreements. He is familiar with all the major standard forms of contract and advises in relation to amendments to those standard forms. He also advises on the drafting and negotiation of supporting documents such as consultant's appointments, collateral warranties and deeds of novation.
Tom has over 15 years' experience in advising on dispute resolution and providing strategic advice to clients for dispute avoidance. He has advised on many complex large value claims involving issues such as breach of contract, breach of warranty, negligence, misrepresentation and injunctive relief. In particular he advises clients in relation to all construction related disputes. This includes claims for extensions of time, loss and expense, payment application disputes, final account disputes and claims relating to defective works.
He has been involved in and advised on all of the most common forms of dispute resolution including adjudication, arbitration and litigation. Tom regularly advises in relation to, and participates in, alternative dispute resolution, including mediation.
Tom delivers training to clients on key issues affecting their business relating to the construction industry. He has written a number of articles which have been published in key sector publications including in the Construction Law Journal.
Examples of work which Tom has advised on includes:
- Acting for a claimant company in arbitration on a multi million pound claim for losses arising out of works on an infrastructure development
- Acting for a client in defence of an adjudication claiming losses of over £1m for alleged negligent design and significantly reducing the damages claimed
- Advising a client in relation to risk and the resolution of a multi party supply chain dispute arising out of the supply of materials for use in a construction project
- Defending in full an adjudication for substantial extension of time on a complex development and providing the client with day to day project advice in relation to claims for defective works, applications for payment and practical completion
- Advising as part of a team on a multi million pound dispute relating to alleged defective works on a prestigious development
- Advising as part of a team on a multi million pound infrastructure dispute including providing risk advice on contracts and day to day advice to senior management
- Acting for various public sector clients in final account disputes involving adjudication and alternative dispute resolution
- Acting for various social housing providers in claims for defective works
- Advising a social housing provider on the drafting of construction documentation arising out of the establishment of a corporate vehicle to undertake property developments on its behalf