Banking and financial law
Our experienced banking and finance solicitors advise banks, borrowers, funds and local government entities on debt finance.
We provide advice on all kinds of debt finance activity, including:
- Acquisition and leveraged finance
- Asset-based lending
- Asset finance
- Invoice discounting finance
- Fund Management
- Project and infrastructure finance
- Real estate finance
- Trade and export finance
We advise on security, intercreditor and related matters, on bilateral and syndicated loan arrangements including development finance, corporate acquisition finance and fund work. We have widespread experience on the establishment, regulation and dissolution of investment funds, including venture capital funds.
Recent bank transactions have included acting for:
- High street bank on the restatement of senior syndicated facilities to a property war chest fund involving a substitution of Banks and a re-designation of debt where the aggregate finance exposure was £314 million and our client bank’s exposure was £23 million.
- High street bank on the re-designation of debt following the anticipated exit of £12 million on a syndicated lend, involving 3 syndicated Term Loans, 2 Tranche CAPEX Facilities all in connection with a corporate acquisition
Weightmans’ financial law solicitors are instructed by banks and borrowers and developers on all aspects of project, construction and development finance.
Recent debt finance transaction with large corporates includes:
- Advisor to a national transport business on receipt of £30 million facility from HSBC for working capital and acquisition purposes.
- Advisor to the borrower on the receipt of €100,000,000 multi-purpose syndicated facility, including an Invoice Discounting line, asset financing, revolving credit facility, term loan and letter of credit line.
In addition to private sector lending, we have extensive experience of advising on the establishment of European Structural Funds. This includes work with the £400million Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund (NPIF), the £250,000 Midlands Engine Investment Fund and the £180million North West Fund.
The team also advises on the provision and the receipt of public sector grant funding and growth schemes including the Regional Growth Fund and Growing Places Fund. As a result of this, we deal with all aspects of fund partnership arrangement, including Limited Partnership Structures, State Aid, procurement law, intellectual property, vesting of interest, regulatory duties, FCA compliance and dispute resolution.FeaturedCOVID -19 Restructuring/Insolvency & wrongful trading – Governmental update
Despite businesses and directors welcoming government schemes to help cash flow during the COVID-19 pandemic, the availability of various forms of…
NewsWeightmans advises Newcastle tech firm, ZeroLight, on international investment
The newly acquired North East office of national law firm Weightmans has advised Newcastle-based automotive visualisation specialist, ZeroLight, on…Duncan Reid Partner
NewsWeightmans helps Broad Group secure funding for new energy recovery facility
National law firm Weightmans has helped the Broad Group secure funding for the development of a new 12MW energy recovery facility (ERF) in Mid Wales.Levent Gürdenli Partner
InsightsThe Gambling Commission launches consultation on gambling with credit cards
Following a recent call for evidence on the issue of online gambling with credit cards, the Gambling Commission has launched a 12 week consultation.Victoria Robertson Partner
View Patricia’s profile
View Maria’s profile
John SchorahManaging Partner
View John’s profile
View Charles’s profile
View Gary ’s profile
View Robert’s profile
View James’s profile
View Duncan’s profile
View Michael’s profile
Catherine HendyPrincipal Associate
View Catherine’s profile
Seray KitchingmanPrincipal Associate
View Seray’s profile
View Isabelle’s profile
View Thomas’s profile